Wednesday 15 April 2009

No Alibis Event - Brian McGilloway and Declan Hughes

Tomorrow, No Alibis will host one of the most entertaining book launches you're likely to see this year. Last year I saw Declan Hughes read with John Connolly at No Alibis, and he blew me away. Also, I've seen Brian McGilloway read from the opening of Borderlands, and he's no slouch either; especially when it comes to the Q&A.

So I'm absolutely raging that this event has clashed with something else. If you can make it, you'd be a fool to pass it up. Go.

Meanwhile, I'll content myself with reading The Dying Breed.

See below for my thoughts on Bleed a River Deep.

No Alibis Bookstore in association with Macmillan & John Murray Publisher


Invite you to a Double Launch Party with


Brian McGilloway

“Bleed A River Deep”

An Inspector Devlin Mystery

&

Declan Hughes

“All The Dead Voices”

An Ed Loy Mystery


Thursday 16th April 7.00pm


Brian McGilloway was born in Derry in 1974. He studied English at Queens University and now teaches at St Columb’s College, Derry.

His first novel, Borderlands, published by Macmillan New Writing, was shortlisted for the CWA New Blood Dagger 2007 and was hailed by The Times as ‘one of (2007’s) most impressive debuts.’


Declan was born in Dublin , where he still lives. He has worked as play-wright and director, and co-founded the Rough Magic Theatre Company

He is the recipient of The Shamus Award for best first novel, “The Wrong Kind Of Blood”


No Alibis Bookstore. 83 Botanic Avenue, Belfast

rsvp david@noalibis.com 028-90-319601

6 comments:

Stuart Neville said...

Pity you won't be at this one, Ger - I'll be heading up to it.

Peter Rozovsky said...

I hope Dave Torrans turns the microphone way up. That Declan Hughes is a pretty bashful, soft-spoken guy.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
“Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home”
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

adrian mckinty said...

I've been waiting for a report on this. Any word?

Gerard Brennan said...

Stuart - Did you make it there, then? Any chance of filling Mister McKinty in?

Peter - Dave's good at bringing writers out of their shells.

Adrian - I didn't make it to this one, but hopefully Stuart will be able to help you out.

Cheers

gb

Stuart Neville said...

It went very well, the place was packed. Declan was as entertaining as the last time I saw him in Dun Laoghaire, but Brian was able to hold his own as well. The best part, though, was Brian and Declan in conversation with each other, each sharing their thoughts on the other's work, which led to some interesting discussion.

I also got to chat with both Brian and Declan before and after the reading. I've met Brian before, but this was the first time I've spoken with Declan, and it was a real pleasure. Of course, I picked Declan's brains for pointers on public speaking.

I bought one each of the authors' debuts, as I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read either yet. I've loaned Borderlands to my mum while I'm reading the new Ellroy, and she's been raving about it - Brian has a new fan.

Gerard Brennan said...

Thanks for the run-down, Stuart. Really wish I'd been able to make it.

Cheers

gb