Friday 7 May 2010

Maxim Jakubowski


Maxim Jakubowski is a Paris-educated British writer and editor. For 14 years he has edited the bestselling Mammoth Book of Erotica series, as well as two volumes of erotic photography. In his own right, The Times once labelled him 'the king of the erotic thriller' for his provocative novels, and Time Out featured him as one of London's most sexy writers, alongside Chaucer, Shakespeare, JG Ballard, Hanif Kureishi and very few contemporaries. He teaches creative erotica writing for the Faber Academy.

Q1. What are you writing at the minute?

I am just about to embark on a companion novella to my THE STATE OF MONTANA, published many years ago, which went into several foreign editions and sold film rights, so about time to follow up on it. My last novel, the first in 4 years, I WAS WAITING FOR YOU, was completed in December and appears 1st November 2010 from Accent Press.

Q2. Can you give us an idea of Maxim Jakubowski’s typical up-to-the-armpits-in-ideas-and-time writing day?

I'm an early riser, and tend to do all my writing end editing work in the morning between 7 am and midday. Afternoons are usually devoted to reading and movies.

Q3. What do you do when you’re not writing?

Read, listen to music, watch films, travel, collect books, CDs, DVDs and magazines.

Q4. Any advice for a greenhorn trying to break into the crime fiction scene?

Just write and don't talk about it.

Q5. Which crime writers have impressed you this year?

The new Toby Litt and Scott Turow novels, and a book by Noah Boyd (alias Paul Levine), but am way behind on crime, as have been reading a lot of stuff outside the genre recently.

Q6. What are you reading right now?

About to begin Justin Cronin's THE PASSAGE.

Q7. Plans for the future?

To keep writing, editing, reading and living

Q8. With regards to your writing career to date, would you do anything differently?

Everything and nothing, depending on my mood and the day

Q9. Do you fancy sharing your worst writing experience?

I wrote a novel THE PHOSPHORUS WAR, which sold to 3 publishers and they all went under and the book was never published. Although I still have a set of galleys. Maybe a good thing, in retrospect as it's not very good and much too episodic (but then a lot of my stuff is...). But it held my confidence and career back for at least 5 years.

Q10. Anything you want to say that I haven’t asked you about?

No. At least you didn't ask unanswerable questions... And I know of several.

Thank you, Maxim Jakubowski!

No comments: