Thursday 24 April 2008

A Wee Review - Yours Confidentially by Garbhán Downey


Back in 2004 I read a Northern Irish political comedy titled Private Diary of a Suspended MLA, which told the story of an independent politician, Shay Gallagher, during the suspension of the Northern Ireland Assembly. Even though I was mostly brain-dead from a lack of sleep (my little girl Mya had just arrived), and it took me weeks to read the relatively slim tome, it always stuck in my mind as a book I should reread in a few years. Since then Garbhán Downey has released pretty much a book a year and I still haven’t reread it; though I will, if only to remind myself how insane the NI trip to a devolved government has been. However, 2008 sees the return of Shay Gallagher in Yours Confidentially, and I’m telling you right now, it’s the funniest book I’ve read this year. And I read a lot.

Yours Confidentially is the tale of North Derry assemblyman, Shay Gallagher’s, campaign to win a seat in the House of Commons. Success will give him a real voice among the big boys and lend him more weight to look after his constituency. Better expenses too. When his chief rival, Frank “Bent” Bennett suddenly drops out of the race, Shay’s moderate chance becomes a certainty, and then the trouble begins. Tommy has broken one of his agent’s most important rules. Never put anything down on paper. Never. But Shay argued it was safer to stick to paper and ink than computers. So Tommy bought him the most powerful shredder on the market to accommodate his argument. The Disintegrate 2000! But Shay is too sentimental, and he keeps all the letters from his fiancée Sue McEwan, a one-time political rival. Add to this the devious nature of the ex-loyalist gangster turned “legitimate” businessman, Victor “Switchblade Vic” McLaughlin with his ambition to own a pet MP and Shay’s in way over his head.

The subtitle, Letters of a would-be MP, is of the Ronseal school of thought. “It does exactly what it says on the tin.” The novel is in the form of a collection of letters, memos, emails and newspaper clippings. Each chapter has a paragraph or two of narration from Shay Gallagher’s agent, Tommy “Bowtie” McGinlay, but other than that Downey has restricted himself to a strict form and created a real challenge. Somehow, he manages to tell a tale with a verve and effortless style that knocked my socks off. I can’t believe how much story he fits in to a chronological collection of realistic correspondence. Sex, intrigue, violence, suspense... it’s all there. I think a big factor in Downey’s success is the trust he lends his audience to read between the lines and the letters. We’re not spoon-fed, and we’re certainly not patronised, although NI politics is a confusing subject, even for the folk that live here.

But I do think the novel could be enjoyed beyond this little province and I’d love to know how easy it reads in England, America or anywhere. Thankfully, Guildhall Press are an ambitious publishing house, and with enough marketing I don’t see why Yours Confidentially wouldn’t make its way overseas.

A glossary of terms wouldn’t hurt though. In fact, I might just compile an unofficial glossary myself in the coming days and post it here for those of you with the good sense to listen to me when I say, BUY THIS BOOK. If nothing else, it gives a pretty accurate introduction into the world of NI politics. Then you can tackle my cousin’s academic text -- Political Leadership and the Northern Ireland Peace Process by Cathy Gormley-Heenan -- to get further insight into the politicians who make unofficial cameos throughout the book.

So, Yours Confidentially is a laugh-out-loud-funny, fast-paced story and an entertaining education in the climate of Northern Ireland’s politics as at April 2008. A brilliant way to mark the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement.

7 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Did you ever compile that glossary of terms? I wonder if this book goes heavier on the terms than do the two books of Downey's that I've read: Off Broadway and Running Mates. I never felt I needed a glossary for them.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Gerard Brennan said...

Hiya Peter! It's like we've gone back in time.

No, I never did get around to doing that glossary. Nobody really showed an interest in it until now. So I might start thinking about it again. Especially in the light of all the buzz about him over at DBB.

When I'm reading Off Broadway I'll try to gauge wheter or not the lingo has been sprinkled lighter. It could just be that you're interest in Irish history and politics gives you a headstart on the average reader, though. I remember one American reader asking Dec Burke what an MP is after he posted about YC. Knowing general things like that could make the reading experience a lot easier, I guess.

gb

Peter Rozovsky said...

And maybe Yours Confidentially does go heavier on the lingo than the other books do. A glossary could never hurt, though.

I generally do enjoy lingo in fiction from countries other than my own, especially if I don't quite know the terms and have to figure out the meaning from the context. I knew MP from having grown up in a country with a parliamentary system, and maybe my recent reading in Irish history did give me a bit of a heads-up.

But having to figure out gradually, from repeated references, what "the Boys" are would add to the fun for an adventurous reader, I would think.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Gerard Brennan said...

Peter - The Boys... of course. That phrase is so often used in our neck of the woods I wouldn't have even thought to add that to the glossary I might or might not get around to.

I'll tell you though, if you like reading stuff laced with vernacular, I'll be sure to send you a copy of my novel when it finally gets published.

gb

Peter Rozovsky said...

I bet it will offer some fun. I'd love to see it when the time comes. In honor of its publication, I'll also buy you another pint of that good Irish beer you drank when we had lunch in Belfast.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Gerard Brennan said...

Hahaha!

Yeah, good old Irish Carlsberg. That'd be nice.

Cheers!

gb

Peter Rozovsky said...

I don't even know how to say "slainte!" in Danish.