Friday 3 October 2008

Calling All Belfast Punx


If you’ve read Colin Bateman’s Driving Big Davie, then you’ll have figured him for a fan of The Clash. The novel starts off with Dan Starkey trying to come to terms with the death of Joe Strummer. Read the excerpt here.

So, I reckon he must have jumped at the chance to DJ at an Oxfam charity gig at The Empire on Botanic Avenue, Belfast. With his usual brash and in-your-face approach to self-publicity, he announced it in a comment on Crime Always Pays.

What? The CSNI comment feature wasn’t working then, Bateman?

Anyway, here’s what he said:

Good luck on trip (in reference to Dec’s imminent jaunt to Ameri-kay). I must make it there one year. Doubtless this means you won't be able to plug my upcoming gig, and I do mean gig, at the Empire Music Hall in Belfast this coming Sunday night. This is in aid of Oxfam and is an evening of punk music at which I will be doing DJ along with the legendary Terri Hooley and the BBC's Stuart Bailie. On the poster advertising the event I have top billing and am described as 'Superstar DJ and Author' Colin Bateman. This is news to me. I had no idea I was an author. But if you want to hear The Clash, and quite possibly The Clash, that's were you should be on Sunday night.

Should you stay or should you go? I’ll certainly try. You should too.

All together now... “I fought the law and the... LAW WON!”

No comments: