Monday, 4 February 2013
This is something I struggle with. I spend way too much time thinking about the idea of reviewing other writers on Amazon. Why? I'll fire some random thoughts into a list. Let's see how many we get.
1. The sockpuppet thing (OLD NEWS, I KNOW!) bugged me in many ways. That's all I'll say about that topic.
2. It's nice to be nice. When other writers review my work on Amazon, I remember their name and if I get time, I return the favour.
3. 'Favour' is a tricky word, isn't it? Most people don't expect quid pro quo, I'm sure. I don't. But 'favour' gives the impression that some reviews may be more generous than they should be.
4. I don't finish a book I don't like unless I'm being paid to review or talk about it.
5. Sometimes I read a book, say to myself, 'That was great! I should review that on Amazon!' (especially if it's an ebook or a small press title) and then I forget to do it.
6. Forgetting to do things can stress me out.
7. I don't write well when I'm stressed.
8. I like it when people like me.
9. I don't care when people don't like me (this may be bravado).
10. Sometimes I think that I'm wasting writing time by trying to come up with smart and snappy reviews on Amazon.
11. There's some weird digital black hole that often deletes reviews written by writers for other writers who don't make money from said other writers book sales but have the potential to and then everybody gets angry. (I might not have paid much attention to that last phenomenonenomnomnom.)
12. I don't like to work for free any more than anybody else.
13. Should Amazon reviews be considered work?
14. There are more thoughts rattling about in my head but I'm starting to get worried about my time and mental health here.
The list ends now.
I've been very lucky with reviews to date on blogs and on Amazon. I may even have been reviewed a few times in newspapers and the like. Some people seem to like my writing. Some people definitely don't. What I'm interested in knowing is: Am I being a bit ridiculous here? Should I just stop reviewing on Amazon altogether? Have I just wasted another chunk of time right there? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section. Or don't. I know we're all busy.
Anybody reading this blog for the first time should know, my books are generally better written than this here post. If I'm lying, buy one of my books and read it and then post an angry review on Amazon. ABC, Always Be Closing! Tee hee.